A Pocket Full of Tedium...

A Pocket Full of Murder - R.J. Anderson

Arc provided by Atheneum Books through Edelweiss

Book Status: Released September 8th

There was a time in which I had to write a review immediately after I had finished whatever book I was reading... now I kind of dread this moment, because I haven't felt all that much love for the arcs I've been reading lately.

This story unfortunately follows the same pattern. *sigh*

I have to admit that practically after page one I had to force myself to keep reading this. Never a good sign.

My main problem with this story is that I found it preachy, and that is something that I hate in books.

With a Charles Dickens' tone to it "woe is on us... and aren't we so poor... and everything bad happens to us", but with a Judaic connotation, this ended being a hot mess of a book.

_ One has the religious part, which ends up engulfing the whole book, because Isaveth (the main character) and her family are Moshites (which is the made up word for Judaism), and they're frowned upon _ and basically hated _ because of that.

_ Then there's the magical aspect of the story, which was basically reduced to cooking lessons: Magic is basically cooked...

I don't know. Maybe a younger reader will find this interesting. I just found it dull.

The world building ends up being built through the use of different words for things we're already familiar with.

Then I know that Isaveth is very young: she's only thirteen years old (I think). But I found her too much of a goody too shoes. I honestly couldn't care less about her.

Or about her older sister who is wasting away in her factory job... or about their younger sisters who need shoes and clothes. *inserts Kleenex*

Look, if an author makes it impossible for me to feel anything else but pity for the characters because their life seems like something out of  Jane Eyre, I am going to have a problem with that. Because unlike Jane Eyre's beginning in which characters die while Jane is in that "school", and you never again forget it, in this story this just felt like a crap artifice destined to fill a few more pages and to wring a few more tears.

When the good guys are just that good... and the bad guys are just that bad, just because. This will bore me.

The only reason I kept on reading it was because of Quiz: the boy with the eye patch and the not so mysterious story: almost from the moment that he appeared that I thought "Can he be....?"

I was right. It was him. *pats self on the back*

So basically I just kept reading until the end to see if I was right about Quiz.

On to the positives, the author continues to have characters who have some sort of physical impairment as the heroes of their own stories.

It's a story full of lessons: Respect every one's religions... don't be fooled by a pretty face... suffering leads to happiness. Sorry, I couldn't resist about this last one.

The writing is as competent as ever, I just couldn't feel a connection to the story, but maybe the younger crowd to whom the story is intended to, will like it seeing as they aren't as jaded as I am.

Myself, I'll keep waiting for a new instalment of the author's Fairies series.

Author's Official Site