A promising start

Frost - Kate Avery Ellison

"IT WAS COLD, the kind of cold that made bones feel brittle and hands ache. My breath streamed from my lips like smoke, and my feet made wet, crunching sounds in the snow as I slipped through the forest. As I ran, my lungs ached and my sack of yarn thumped against my back. My cloak tangled around my ankles, but I yanked it free without stopping."

This is how this story begins, and for me, this first paragraph was perfect at catching my attention and interest in the tale.

When it comes to descriptions of the settings, i think that the author made an amazing job. The descriptions are as vivid as one could possibly wish. Five stars in this.

So why the three and half stars?

The concept of the story was intriguing, and interesting enough.

One has a dystopian setting (we have no time frame, but i'm going to go with a distant future..) but unlike the majority of the dystopias, this one has a very medievel "tone"...at least in certain things ..

In the "Frost", there's no economy as one knows it, products are exchanged by other products.

Also, like the title indicates,  its habitants live on a perpetual winter. Live is hard and bleak.

But the lives of these persons could be peaceful if not for two threats: "The watchers" monsters of ancient times that are attracted by pieces of tecnology (YES!)...that can be found on the "Farthers" territory.

In theory, Farthers and the people who live on Frost shouldn't interact with one another. The Farther concept is the opposite of the Frost. There's tecnology, there's money, big mass production, big tall black buildings, fog, and apparently no liberty...
So from time to time, in the Frost, people are able to see Farthers prisioners that are being transported in carts..

Then there's this sense of impending doom, with which the author was able to permeate the descriptions of the woods of Frost.

“It’s still light,” I whispered aloud, trying to reassure myself. In the light, I was safe. Even the smallest child knew that much. The monsters didn’t come out until after dark."

Perfect, for me!

So my biggest problem was with the characters. They pale somewhat, in comparison with the setting...I wish that they were more...more "fleshed as characters."

Then there's some pet peeves (almost insignificant ones, but..) like for instance, that moment where Lia and Gabe first lay eyes on one another:

"I stepped to his side, crouching down to touch his face. His eyes opened a crack, and then...
He looked at me.
I felt hollowed out and filled up again as our gazes collided—mine and this Farther from beyond the edge of my world."

WHOA! It seems suspiciously like insta love/atraction....on Lia's part. And she's a very down to earth kind of character, so, it feels a little forced....maybe if "this" had appeared a little further along the line, i wouldn't have a problem with it. As it was, it just felt too soon...

Their attraction is visible, but i guess i needed more pages, more development for it to feel more palpable, more real...less ya you know? It happens because it has to happen!

Then there's a character, of which i'm really curious about: _Adam Brewster...
Maybe i'm seeing this all wrong, and Gabe was to have a completely different role in this story. Maybe he just served to wake Lia emotions...

Then we get to the final pages, and there's a lot of questions that i would have liked to see answered:
_ Why are the Watchers so determined in destroying tecnology?
_ Who are they really?
_ What is they time period?
_ What's with the flowers?
Then i wouldn't mind having a little more explannation on the portals...

So Yes, i enjoyed this story, and it's writing. I just can't help feeling that it could have been better, if the characters had been a little more worked out...but maybe, the problem is with the short lenght of the story that didn't allow for that. Hopefully, the next one, will compensate that problem.